Recent Awards’ posts:
July 28, 2014 “She Struggles. Without a Sara or those Fate sisters.”
July 18, 2012. “Paws please: awarding attention”
April 11, 2012. “RC Cat awards Royal attention”
March 2, 2012 “Tagged: fait accompli (according to HRH)”
Awards journal begins:
Upon accepting this award:
1. Post a link to the Versatile Blogger who nominated you. (and thank them)
2. Share seven facts or items not widely known about yourself
3. Nominate (and notify) five (or 7 or 15) other bloggers for this award.
Oh, dilemma. That Versatile Blogger green square that’s been tumbling around mosquito-like for ‘way over 6 months. Although it seems to have morphed a bit each time around. There used to be 5 or 6 acceptance “steps”, but streamlining is important during the holiday season. Is there a problem with a shrinking number of participants? Nominate 5 other bloggers this time?
Oh, my. Sigh. It’s from that great giggle of a blog Big Sheep Communications, one of my favorites.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m flattered. (Just as I’m flattered when those “Like” clicks come in. And really flattered when a reader takes time to comment.) But the award thing. It’s just like a gold star proclaiming success? (And we are all conditioned to love those!) Be careful what you wish for?
Awards, like being published or selling art work is tricky. Such a jolt with joy.
Then the oddness. Managing the apparently rigid expectations.
It changes things
“Hi, sign this. I went to your last conference/training/session/(insert appropriate event). This book/article/manual/item/ (insert whatever) isn’t like your last one.” (THINKING, not saying: No it’s got a different cover art. See? And it’s a different topic/genre/ just totally different – not the same, you’re exactly right.)”I liked the old one better.” “I am always interested in audience reactions and feedback. I do appreciate your support and input. I’ll think of you the next time I start, promise.” (And I will.)
Concern. Write for audience applause? (who doesn’t love that?) Stick with meeting their expectations?…sometimes. Write because it feels right?…sometimes.Need the check or just chunk it all for the joy of bingeing with words? Stick with safety – or take the risk?
Kinda like haircuts.
Or dealing with gallery owners who carry your works. “This group is different from that last group” “Yeah, these are etchings, not paintings. And the paintings are different colors and of different subjects.” “The size of these are different. Those sofa-size ones sold really well. And those smaller ones the tourist could pack in carry-on bags. What about doing some small ones just like big sellers?” Makes sense. Of course, that’s the problem. Stay the course for artistic progression or pay the bills.
That’s the joy of blogging.
The freedom from rigidity of prescribed forms and expectations. (Just don’t jeopardize funding or irritate too many clients) Well, OK, WordPress does warn newcomers that a focused blog will get more followers as readers like to know what to expect. Still, it’s the blogger’s choice.
The Versatile Blogger Award.
Seriously, why all the fretting? Look at it: light and breezy like an elementary school bulletin board – so totally non-threatening. (Sorry, did some time in developing marketing and business logos. It never all washes off.) But wondering is this a nomination notification? (If so then when will the finalists be announced? And the winner…?)
Oh, the stress. Hyperventilation at best.
Such a prolific award nomination pool: Tough competition.
Just look at all those worthy blogs! Palpitations! Heartfelt sobs!
From whence it comes?
Pray tell, how it begun?
Spill it Versatile Blogger
Award or chain letter ? Seriously. Is it judged with secret criteria or a friendly writing distraction and brain clutter? Gushing well wishes from all involved or linked-group openings for spam bots from questionable lots? Not! (What silly suspicious rot!) Simply a game to build community (as well as traffic and stats)? What’s the harm with any of that? The results are quite interesting throughout the participating blogs.
And it’s an Award!
(Wish it was a lamp.)
So I’m quite honored. Yet confronted with a challenge on just how to comply. Time is so limited and some of the post-its are rebelling and threatening to fly. (The post-it wars continue.) In addition, even bloggers are very busy with the writing challenge, keeping their blogs fresh, and comments updated and moderated. Do I dare pass on another burden to them? More worrisome is the thought that out there is some blogger weeping each day because the Versatile Blogger Award hasn’t come their way. (Please if this is you – drop me a line – I promise I won’t tell) The pressure. The pressure. It’s almost too much.
So here’s the deal – in the spirit of being very versatile –
I’ll start with this posting and then work on it more every once in a while. Is that OK? Readers can check periodically instead of reading it all one day. Perhaps that’s better for readers: just short segments. Will it work that way? (You can leave a comment. You can have a say.)
Seven Not widely known facts
1.Hmmm. The above post writing must cover this one some. (No, that’s not being lazy.)
2. The best way to get a clear pathway down the ski slope: “Please, get out of my way. I have no idea what I am doing.” Seems to work really well no matter the trail difficulty. (Banff area. Great place to ski: few trees. Go fast.)
3. What’s old to you is not old to me – age wise. Multiple members in my family lived past 100. Even the oldsters are clear-headed, up on current events, and have a sense of humor. The ones over 90 still drive (no comment) and are happy at home. So we’ll see, you just never know. Enjoy the day.
4.Realized I have been nominated for the Liebster award by .http://kiranchawla44.wordpress.com. I am greatly honored this blogger reads my posts. (“About this award: This is an award given to blogs that have less than 200 followers and deserve more recognition and encouragement.There are guidelines that have to be followed while giving or receiving the Award.”) Hmmm. the purpose is similar to the Versatile award. Duplication of effort is mind clutter – especially at this time of year. Sooo this page will serve? (No, that’s not lazy. Practical, at this time : hate to put things off and do not wish to offend or appear ungrateful.) OK I’ll add on a couple of more items to each of these categories out of respect. And I am desperately searching for that nice blog I read recently that is extremely new – and the blogger was really wondering if anyone out there was reading…we’ve all been there (actually we’re all there after every entry until that first click) Thanks again for this award.
5. Raced catamarans (Hobie, Prindle, Nacra) for a long time. Sailed one of the first windsurfers around here. Had a Morgan 38. Looking at a Beneteau….meanwhile may try paddle boarding (but it’s not the same without a sail? Kite boarding…hmmm, must work out more)
6.And surprise! I was nominated for the 7×7 Link Award by blogger Janece Herrington of http://thewildpomegranate. (It’s great blog.) I’m terribly flattered and dazzled – as this award design is so, well, dazzling! The awardee selects 7 previous blog posts that represent certain categories: Most Beautiful, Most Helpful, Most Popular, Most Controversial, Most Surprisingly Successful, Most Underrated, Most Prideworthy, and then you pass the award along to 7 new recipients.) OK. I will get that done – as a New Year’s Resolution. (Promise. That good enough for you?….buying time…buying time….)
7. Even more astounding is the above award from http://mindwarpfx.wordpress.com/ (which is always a hilarious blog). This award means a lot as it’s his response to TIME magazine ‘s Person of the Year Award: the Protestor! (which is a funny post – read it). So many blogs to read, that he checks in on mine and finds it worth mentioning well, that is a real honor. (and fact that the award doesn’t have any string attached jumps it ‘way up on the appreciation list.) Did I mention that Mindwarp is bloody brilliant?!
8. I known as a dog whisperer, hamster whisperer, bunny whisperer, guinea pig whisperer, not too bad with horses – but I do not speak cat very well….and it appears animals know if they show up, they will be cared for. (There’s an invisible sign out front somewhere – I know there is. Currently, NO VACANCIES! )
9. I was trained to paint using the old masters’ techniques: raw linen canvas, white lead underpainting, glazes, scumbles. EPA took out the white lead ( it does have to be used carefully). And if you paint, you end up with all those stacks of painting..which tend to be rather large…and they have to be carefully stored somewhere.
10. I really like creating etchings. You know: eating metal plates away with acid, muscling big presses that resemble medieval siege machines. Great fun.
11. Estes Cone in CO is one of my favorite hikes – because it’s fun, there’s lots of variety, and I’ve hiked it with great people. Calypso Cascades trail is a favorite for water falls and a non-serious hike.
12. (An even dozen responses…surely that’s it?) I have been awarded the Candle Lighter Award by Sunshine of the Simply Charming blog(Seraphim6.wordpress.com) “It is for blogs and bloggers that light a candle in the darkness with their blog. What does it mean? Whenever I see a post or blog that I think brings light to the world, I will put a copy of this post and give them The Candle Lighter Award” This is a quiet honor and I am grateful to be recognized. There are no strings attached. It may be passed along as deserved. Thank you Sunshine.
12 1/2. Sunshine of Simply Charming has also honored me with the One Lovely Blog Award. This award is obviously lovely and what’s lovely and simple about this one is that it has no conditions! It is to pass to other blogs “to show your appreciation for the kindness blog friends bring, when they come and visit and occasionally even join in with a bit of a chat or two.” So once again, thank you Sunshine.
14. Now this 2012 Hiram P. Glackenfoof Award of Excellence in Blogging is just amazing and mind-boggling. Robin King of Robpixaday.com said if I could whine, I might have this. WOW. I’m a wiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnneeeeer. Thanks so much – I am ooooverwheeeeeellllllmmmmmed. (Smart Readers, (you are all that, right?) head over to Robpixaday or my favorite badtypersblog.wordpress.com award yourself with some real giggles.
15. Sunshine of Simply Charming has also honored me (well, actually the German) with a Hug Award. The German is just bouncing all over about this. She’s thrilled to get an award that doesn’t require biting someone. I told her good manners and a kind heart would be rewarded.
- This award originates from Connie Wayne (http://ahopefortodat.com) where all the award information is revealed.This award is “for those who, without bias or prejudice, use their resources and gifts to make the world a better place for everyone.” Thank you so much, Sunshine! (Hope those doggie kisses aren’t too annoying)
16. Wow! I have just received the ABC Award for Awesome Blog Content. Albert of Ideaofitall – “My thoughts and Poetry” sent this one over to me. This is one guy to keep an eye on: interest range from history to English major to archeology. (All those tangle up nicely together. Go Albert) This award asks the nominee to tell information about them in alphabetical order! ( If you look really hard, you can probably find all the letters of the alphabet somewhere around here?…hmmmm….must ponder this one!)
17. Announcing the Kreativ Blogger Award! Nominated by blogger Christine of Wordsetcwriting.com – “Exploring communication on all levels…” Christine, who has a great deal of writing experience has a great blog. The guidelines for this award’s acceptance are as follow: List 6 blogs that are outstanding and deserve recognition, and Share 10 things about yourself. (Whew – think I can double duty some of this!)
Now chat among yourselves.
I’ll be back with more entries on this page at a future time…
Extremely Worthy Blogs to Nominate
(Work in progress. It’s hard to know just where to begin: don’t want to annoy, overlook, or offend. So many to pick from; must determine criteria to select from. Guess, just stay tuned.)
1.http://motorcyclepoems.wordpress.com Amazing blog. The tagline: “Motorcycles are poetry in rolling vibration” The author is a free spirit and a great writer. Hope he doesn’t mind the spotlight here…oh, he’s already slipped into the night. Keep an eye on this one…if you can keep up.
2.http://kiranchawla44.wordpress.com/ Seeking Utopia, IF ONLY Musings galore… Intense thoughts: life, existence, society, work, and relationships. Simple. Precise. Clean. Haunting. True. (May have already received this award – if not should have)
3.http://pics4twitts.wordpress.com Elements Hyperlocal Journalism Photo-blog Nature and Civic news and images by Doug Worrall Photography. Stunning nature photography with narration. Terrific eye for composition, subject matter, and the perfect shot. (And quite a way with words)
4.http://shiftingphases.com Troubleshooting Learning. Like to watch thought processes or to observe how people (adults and kids) learn? A new teacher struggles to connect with teenagers. Quite a trip watching his progress and discoveries as a teacher who is on his way to becoming a researcher. (As an added plus, he’s Canadian.)
5.http://dancingbeastie.wordpress.com Seasonal Living in a Scottish Castle. Seriously. It’s a castle in Scotland and they are the most charming people. When the world seems totally insane – visit this blog and feel like you’ve walked into a movie. Great photos, commentaries, and the author’s backstory will intrigue you. So peaceful….but not without trials and tribulations from life.
6. http://ashleyjillian.com Hilarious adventures of a California girl. Life, work, and aspiring improv comedian. Wonderful commentaries and observations.
7. http://lifeatitudes.com Life as it is. Featured on Fresh Pressed – but good long before then. Funny stories. If you enjoy sports, you might like his other blog: http://www.sportsattitude.com (So this one counts as 2, right?)
8. http://thedragonflywoman.com Love gorgeous nature pictures? Interested in science? Visit the Dragonfly Woman‘s blog. Beauty will amaze you – and you might learn something from this entomologist. Always an adventure.
9.http://peterpreobrazhenskii.wordpress.com Mystery is not of the man, it is the illusion of man Few words, but precise and exact. Amazing poetry and photos.
http://crazykfarm.mybigcommerce.com/our-blog/ OK this isn’t a WordPress blog, but it’s a really funny one from Crazy K Farms. Started by a mom with a sick child, it boasts of free range chickens, and is working towards certification as organic, Who knew chickens needed refuges or had specialized clothing?. Crazy K Farms has “chickens, guinea fowl, ducks, geese, goats and sheep living on 35 park-like acres in Hempstead, Texas, approximately 45 miles northwest of Houston. The majority of our poultry and livestock are rescues and we are committed to providing each and every animal on this farm with the best life possible.” Rescue dogs guard all the animals and the adventures on the place are hilarious. If you need a big laugh, visit this site.
(Brain insisting on other topics, so stay tuned for more entries….)
Most humbly and most grateful,
Phil, the Philosopher Mouse of the Hedge