Good Good Friday: especially for Sergeant Rex
It’s shaping up to be a very good Good Friday.
Despite the storms in DFW area, East Texas old timers are pretty smug. Things holdin’ to folk tradition: no matter the recent mild weather, no matter how long it’s been since the last frost, there’s always a bad storm just before Good Friday.
The rural farmers always said it happened to remind folks what Easter was about.
Funny thing is, that there does always seem to be extreme weather Easter week.
(But probably doesn’t really have anything to do with that new show GCB set in Dallas. Seriously. It doesn’t)
Anyway, after any storm there’s usually a rainbow and a sense of peace.
One storm appears to be almost over:
Megan Leavey’s struggle to adopt Sergeant Rex, the military dog.
- A source in Lackland said earlier this week their part is done and Rex is released from them.
- Sen. Charles Schumer says Megan and Rex are to be united Friday. (Orange County Register and CBS News, NY)
- Randy and Mindy Levine of the New York Yankees deserve a big round of applause from everyone. They are offering to pay for Megan’s travel expenses to California to pick up Rex. In additions, they have promised to take fund all or Rex’s future medical bills.
- Meagan Leavey lives in Valley Cottage, N.Y and works as a dog handler for a private security company.
- In retirement, Rex will join a pack including Rocky (the 7 yrs shiba inu) and Patriot (4 yrs. working Labrador). And he will be able to dog paddle leisurely around a pool and lounge in the sun to bake those aging joints. Sounds perfect.
So hopefully DFW will get all those planes back in the air and straighten out the flight backlog. Rex is waiting.
Here’s a posted comment from Megan’s aunt, Marion Leavey:
Certainly can’t add anything to that.
(Other than support pending legislation concerning military dogs)
The Marines got it from them. “Ever faithful”
It’s going to be a great Good Friday
- “Sergeant Rex cleared to pack for Megan’s” ( Update on the process. And another dog, Crock)
- ” Save Sergeant Rex. Guardians watching” ( Links to Rex’s story “Tales from the Triangle of Death”, PTSD in dogs, and his recent book signing with pictures)
- “Senator: Save Sergeant Rex” (Petition link. Link to Marine Times)
- “Saving Sergeant Rex: waiting warrior status” Find out about legislation that would help military dogs. ( HB 4103 and S.2134).
- “Update Saving Sergeant Rex” ( Link to Rex’s book by a former handler)
- “Saving Sergeant Rex” (Original post with photos, videos, Links about military dogs – how you can help them. They need equipment. Link to adoption information.)